New book

Photo Nuts and Post is the third installation in the Photo Nuts series and it just launched!
Written by professional photographer, Neil Creek, it gives you the tools you need to make processing work for you. Even if you have experience in editing, you can always learn new tricks.
To celebrate, they are offering 33% off if you buy today -Click here to read more!

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Passion

I have a couple of weekends off before my wedding season will be taking over my life. This year will be my record for weddings. I know I should be excited. I love shooting weddings, but I'm actually regretting booking so many.

Why, you may ask?

Because I'll be so busy, I won't be seeing alot of the family. I know one may deem my business successful. I mean, I'm busy with clients, right?

Success comes in all forms. One may define success because they have riches. Another may associate it with doing something that you love. I like to think it's a combination of both, but to me, it cannot interfere with being a mom and wife-and me.

Entrepreneurs tend to get caught up in work and forget to take time off to live their life too. I think that if we don't do that, we will lose the passion that inspired us to do it in the first place. I'm afraid that I'm getting to that point right now. This is the very reason why I've sat down and took a long look at where I want my business to be a year from now.

I know I don't want to be the Jack of all trades if you may, in photography. I have a tendency of feeling guilty if I turn a client down because I don't want to take photos of babies, or shoot another birthday party.

I really would like to see myself shooting glamour by next year, in addition to weddings. Maybe offering the two as a package option for the bride for her husband. I think concentrating on a specific niche will make me feel less overwhelmed. This will help me get through this year, knowing it will be different next year.

I'm also allowing myself to take a vacation this summer as well. No work. No emails. Just the family and having fun.


Do you feel this way too? Are you overwhelmed with your business that you are losing your passion? What changes are you going to make, if any?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

People think i am crazy for turning down weddings but i have found early on, that i am NOT a wedding photographer. there is so much that goes into them that i just cant see myself being SANE for one but two being able to see my kids and my husband. So while the money is great for weddings... it's rightly so, because those bad boys cost so much more in TIME than what i could reasonably charge in money! (imo)

so i understand exactly what your saying but i dont regrete for one precious minute turning down a wedding.

Unknown said...

Glamor and Just the Bride sessions are becoming popular. You can do it!