New book

Photo Nuts and Post is the third installation in the Photo Nuts series and it just launched!
Written by professional photographer, Neil Creek, it gives you the tools you need to make processing work for you. Even if you have experience in editing, you can always learn new tricks.
To celebrate, they are offering 33% off if you buy today -Click here to read more!

Thursday, October 6, 2011

The bride from hell

I just had to stop between my editing of wedding photos to write this post. My last wedding of the year is in November and thank goodness it is. I had this couple book me earlier this year and they seemed like a nice couple. I did their engagement photos and they stressed how much of a laid back they were and how they felt funny doing any serious photos because they were a silly couple, etc., etc. I assumed that this would be a fun wedding to shoot and an easy couple to deal with.

Well, you know what they say about "assuming"...

It was time to meet with the couple to discuss plans, make final payment, etc. She emailed me and told me that she lived too far away to do that and that she would mail me the payment and we could email the plans. I said that would be fine and I sent her an email with my usual questions and letting her know what time I need them to be ready by to do photos.

I got back an angry email back stating that she will do things on her schedule and she won't be rushed.

Ouch.

Then, she said she would be sending an email with my photo list. OMG... I hate lists. When I got this "list", it wasn't just poses, it stated the time that I would be taking them.

Now, mind you, I'm used to running the photography part and the couple going by what I need time wise to get all the photos I need to get. I explain this in the first initial meeting and if they don't like it, they don't have to go with me. I'm sorry if that makes me sound like a b-i-t-c-h, but I know what I have to do to get the end result of what they hire me for. To me, this bride is telling me that she doesn't trust me.

This ain't my first rodeo, honey.

You don't know how much I wanted to tell her that I've done more weddings then she's thrown one and I just might know what I'm doing. I also wanted to tell her that if she has me just take the photos that she's asking for, her album will be a disaster. I'm just sick over the thought of doing this wedding. I wish there was a loophole I could jump through to get out of doing this wedding. Money or no money, I don't do weddings where the bride is like this. You either think I can do the job or not. Don't hire me if you don't!

I have a wedding tomorrow and I'm trying to just focus on that and not let this bride get to me. I guess every wedding has a chance to be a learning lesson. I will have to be more adamant about the couple letting me be able to do my creative part in making their photos special and artistic. If they don't agree, then we aren't a fit.

I got into photography for the love of it, and I won't let a bitchy controlling bride change that for me!

3 comments:

Tara said...

oh that is awful!

Unknown said...

Wow, I think you should follow your gut and try to get out of this commitment. Best of luck.

Kimberly Gauthier, Dog Nutrition Blogger for Keep the Tail Wagging said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this; I wish you the best on the big day!