New book

Photo Nuts and Post is the third installation in the Photo Nuts series and it just launched!
Written by professional photographer, Neil Creek, it gives you the tools you need to make processing work for you. Even if you have experience in editing, you can always learn new tricks.
To celebrate, they are offering 33% off if you buy today -Click here to read more!

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Do you need to take 100's of photos during a shoot?

Should a photographer shoot a zillion photos at a photo shoot?


Yes, and no. My session lists 'unlimited photo taking' as part of the package. To me, it means that I don't just take 10 shots and then I'm done. It also, allows me the chance to have lots of poses to choose from with backups. I am one of those photographers that likes to take lots of photos no matter what I'm shooting.

Now, does this mean that I shoot on a whim without taking my time to frame the subject to get the perfect shot? Not at all. In fact, I plan every session to the tee. I go to the location shoot an hour early, or even the day before and plan in my head every shot I want to do. I bring a pose book so I don't forget a shot, and if I am at a location that I've done lots of sessions at already, I do the same session that I've done on other clients.

So, why do I need to take so many? While I a have a system to how I do my sessions, something may catch my eye that I didn't plan, or maybe I'm not so sure which angle that I want from a pose. Besides, you have a digital camera, so why not?

While some photographers may be cringing at the fact that I said it's ok to go overboard with photos, I think that it's safe to say so. I do understand that there are drawbacks to doing this, the biggest being the client.

When I first started, I probably took twice as many photos as I do now (I have toned down quite alot). I used to let the artist in me come out and treated the client as my canvas-not to get too dorky-and clicked away.

I didn't have too many problems until one day, when a client was looking at their gallery and asked about a shot that I took that wasn't there. I thought back and realized that it was an experimental pose and it ended up not turning out like I had wanted, so I chucked it.

I quickly explained to her that while I take unlimited photos, I have to limit the amount to put in the gallery so it doesn't get overwhelming for the client to choose from. I also assured them that I choose the best ones so they aren't missing out on anything.

You can come up with your own reason if you think of something more clever( and please let me know too! :))

So, just keep in mind that you are the artist and if you feel better having "backups" or experimenting while shooting, then do it. What works for one photographer may not be best for another.

0 comments: