New book

Photo Nuts and Post is the third installation in the Photo Nuts series and it just launched!
Written by professional photographer, Neil Creek, it gives you the tools you need to make processing work for you. Even if you have experience in editing, you can always learn new tricks.
To celebrate, they are offering 33% off if you buy today -Click here to read more!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Designing your own home studio

Not everyone has the luxury of renting a fancy studio, though we may dream of it. Then again, some photographers love their home studio and wouldn't change it for anything.
I am one of those photographers that has a home studio. I may be switching to a regular studio, but for right now, I do photos in my home. If you want to take the next step and invest in a studio space for your home, then don't fret.

Designing a studio in your home doesn't have to be hard, nor does it have to be expensive.
This is from my grand opening last year. My daughter is enjoying the snacks we had.
Below, is the other end of the "studio" and where the backdrops are.
The only thing that gets in the way sometimes is pole-but we kind of need it to keep the floor up. lol.
I didn't spend a lot on materials, and they work fine for what I need. I found the lights as a package deal on ebay for around $250. I did a lot of research before buying to make sure company was reputable and the equipment wasn't faulty. The paper rolls I love and are a great deal from B & H Photo (love these guys!)
I put together my own back drop holder, which saved a ton of money.

I bought two backdrop stand poles off of Amazon for $20 each. Then, I bought a couple of pairs of curtain holders from Walmart to hold up the poles. Simple! Oh, and make sure you put some long screws to keep the poles from sliding off.

You can decorate by framing some of your work and hanging it on the walls. I suggest using photos of your own children at first so you can enjoy your own family photos and advertise as well!

If you offer framing or canvas prints, invest in them as well.

With a few investments in equipment and decorations, you will be on your way to a beautiful home studio that holds up to those fancy studios in no time!

3 comments:

Anne said...

Tess I love your home studio and that you had a Grand Opening. Very "homey". I think customers like that comforting quality and it's more relaxing that way.
I'd love a home office just for me. A space of my own. Maybe someday if we get a bigger house!

YayaOrchid said...

I think your home studio is amazing! Seems like it's better to be home-based for convenience and for having your family always near.

Theresa S. said...

These are great ideas! I love the way you did your backdrop stand. I'll be using some of these when I get to work on my studio.