New book

Photo Nuts and Post is the third installation in the Photo Nuts series and it just launched!
Written by professional photographer, Neil Creek, it gives you the tools you need to make processing work for you. Even if you have experience in editing, you can always learn new tricks.
To celebrate, they are offering 33% off if you buy today -Click here to read more!

Thursday, July 28, 2011

What should you charge?

A reader sent me an email the other day:


I’m a newbie at my photography business, and a friend asked me to photograph her wedding. I really didn't know what to charge (and thinking of just doing it for free). I decided to go by what other photographers are charging in my area. I lowered my price from theirs, but I'm not sure if that's what I should do. What else should I do to come up with my pricing?


I cringe when I hear photographers guessing at what to charge for their services. There are a lot of things to consider when deciding what to charge.


You must look at the following:


expenses


editing time


marketing


business expenses


The bottom line to a business is profit.


Just "guessing" will lead to failure. You have to take into account where you are located, what the competition is doing, what you can give your clients and what your clients expect.


Another important factor is making a goal. This will help determine how your business will run. Some people want to replace the income from their present job. Others may just want some extra spending money. Still others may want to become a well known photographer.


Each goal is different for each person starting a photography business. Where you want to be in 5 years will help you to have a successful business.


So, where do you want to be in 5 years?
How to easily start up and market your own profitable photography business

8 comments:

Adriana Iris said...

i love how folks don't wish to pay for photos...and how scared we are to ask for money

Karen said...

Ive had a hard time deciding this as well.

Mark said...

I hope to be well established and this my full time business!

Tasha said...

Making good money as a wedding photographer!

Theresa Kull said...

I just want this as a part time gig, so probably making $200 a week.

Gina Kleinworth said...

I sooo need to get that book. I know my hubs would love it if all my time spent doing this would bring in some income but I am thinking I need more practice & info before jumping in. That book will surely give me the info I need to send me in the right direction.

Carly said...

i agree, it is hard to decide what to charge!

Anita said...

Very good advice - not only for photographers, but for every wanna-be entrepreneur.

Best wishes to all that are seeking.