New book

Photo Nuts and Post is the third installation in the Photo Nuts series and it just launched!
Written by professional photographer, Neil Creek, it gives you the tools you need to make processing work for you. Even if you have experience in editing, you can always learn new tricks.
To celebrate, they are offering 33% off if you buy today -Click here to read more!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Featured Vendor: Speckled Frog

Today's Featured Vendor is

Cyprianne from





She's offering a giveaway for all you lucky readers!

She's giving 4 patterns away to one lucky winner. Find out how to enter after the interview.


What type of product do you offer to photographers?


I specialize in crocheted products. The majority of my business is crochet patterns but if someone is looking for finished items I will either make or recommend my customers who are selling my designs. I have many photographers who contact me for custom designs - they have an idea but are unable to find it anywhere. In most cases I am able to come up with a design they are looking for.

What made you want to start this kind of business?

I decided to stay home and give up my career after I found out that my first son was delayed, and would need extra help. I have always been crafty and I saw a need in the market for unique designs. There were tonnes and tonnes of the same patterns just different colours. I soon discovered that combining stitches created beautiful textures and this could make stunning items for either every day items and especially photo props.


Are you a photographer as well, or just a photo-taking junkie?


Total photo taking junkie!!!! I wish I had an ounce of a photographers talent. Out of every 100 photos there are probably about 5 good ones 2 great ones. I have over 20,000 photos on my computer (no wonder my memory is almost full) I really should print them off or my babies are going to grow up to be jpg;s (another mom told me that one LOL) When I first started designing I thought I would take my own pics. No way! I leave it up to the pros and they can leave the designing to me:)

Do you have a favorite photographer that you drool over their photos?

Too many to list. I really love when the photos look natural without being over processed. I can only imagine how hard it is to capture the personalities, mood and expressions the way so many great photographers do.



What do you do like to do when you aren't running your business?

Love my family. I really have started to take the time to look at them everyday, listen to what they say and look at life through their eyes a little more. They are a constant reminder of how great the little things in life can be. They are my rock, my strength and my drive. My business has made such a difference to their quality of life and I watch them flourish more every day.


Any advice to someone wanting to start a business?

Do what YOU love. Stay true to yourself, your style and your needs. Find a balance between what is important to you now and what you are working towards. Don't let it consume your days or you will look back and that time will be gone. Celebrate small successes and keep pushing forward even when you feel like they are few. There were many many many days I had no sales at all. Put your time into YOUR business not looking at what everyone else is doing. I feel so strongly about this - there are always people doing better and some doing worse either way it doesn't change how you are doing only the way you feel about it.

Still find a little time to just do what you love doing for the heck of it! And on that note - I'm going to make Mr Freeze Cozies for the heck of it!



Thanks for the great interview!


Enter contest:


Required:


Visit Speckled Frog Crochet and then come back here and leave a comment telling us which is your favorite product.


Extra entry:


Follow us.


Contest ends:

7/22/11

29 comments:

Day said...

Her Newsboy caps are my absolute favorite, although her cross cluster hats are a close runner up! My favorite hat of all time is the "A Stitch in Time" hat.

Tanja said...

I love the cross clustered beanie with rose. I made one for my daughter a year ago, and sold over 20 of them to people who commented on hers!

Karen said...

I love Cyprianne's patterns. My favorite is the Mystic Owl. I love the comments she makes on facebook like the personal stories. She makes you feel like you are a friend.

Unknown said...

The Fuzzy Wuzzy Bear Hat!!!

Debbie Messer said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE Cyp's Everything's Rosie Hat! I actually LOVE all of her patterns♥

crescendogal said...

Another great interview from one of my FAV designers...thanks for that! Next on my list of patterns from Cyp is the original ducky hat :0) I have several and LOVE them!!!

crescendogal@yahoo.com

Melissa Rothman said...

It's impossible to have just one favorite, but I really love the buddy bear and sweetly scalloped springtime beanies :)

ramona b said...

I don't think I can choose a favorite. I have many of her patterns and love them all! The newsboy hat is probably my most requested, but the cluster hats, sun hats, monkey, dinosaur.... all adorable!

Ashley B said...

I LOVE her dinosaur hat! But really all of her hats :)

I think I am following too!

Christene said...

I love love love the mystic owl hat and have made it for both boy and girl!!

Busy Mama said...

I think it is impossible to just choose 1 favorite, I love ALL of Cyp's patterns! I love how quick all of the crossed cluster hats work up. The Tiny Textures newsboy is an all time favorite too :)

Kathy said...

Love Speckled Frog!!!!! I have a ton of her patterns and love them all. My favorite would have to be the Mystic owl it is so unique and different from all the other owls out there.
Also following you both on FB. =)

~Shari said...

Wow! She has such a large variety of items. Each on e is great!

I was eying the Sock Monkey and the Fluffy Ducky Ear Flap hat!!

Anonymous said...

I love the Mystic Owl! So adorable. Your very talented!!

Anonymous said...

I love the Mystic Owl! So adorable. Your very talented!!

Christina said...

By far my fave is her bouquet beanie. I make a sell the hats for a charity and that is my best seller by far!

Anonymous said...

Love all of them,all so fun to work with. If I chose one, it would by one of my all time favorites;the Sock Monkey Hat!!

Melanie

taracoll said...

I have so many, and love them all. Right now Everything's Rosie is a favorite to crochet.

KristenC said...

I love her sock monkey hats! They are too cute!

Heather said...

Like most of the other commenters, I haven't seen a design of Cyprianne's that I don't just love. With that said-I absolutely MUST have the dinosaur pattern!! :D

Riebee said...

her patterns are fantabulous. One of the unique qualities about her patterns are that she allows us to sell completed product from her patterns. that is so rare. her sock monkey hat pattern has spawned a side biz for me. it's unreal.

Rachel Hayden said...

The dino hat is so cute!

ShelleyBp said...

I LOVE the nubby Aviator, the Mystic Owl, the newsboy caps, the ..... You know, I LOVE THEM ALL !!!!!!!!
Have quite a bit of them, it gets hard to decide which one to do next hehehe :O)

BowDacious.Bows said...

Love the cross cluster with rose and the tiny textures newsboy

ErinGain said...

I love sooo many of them! but my fav would be the nubby aviator! all my customer love this too!

Natalie said...

Great article! TSF. I have several of Cyp's patterns but one I don't have that I'm drooling over is the dragon/dinosaur one.

Tara said...

I love these!

collyn23 said...

I love the crochet duck hat adorable

collyn23 said...

i follow