New book

Photo Nuts and Post is the third installation in the Photo Nuts series and it just launched!
Written by professional photographer, Neil Creek, it gives you the tools you need to make processing work for you. Even if you have experience in editing, you can always learn new tricks.
To celebrate, they are offering 33% off if you buy today -Click here to read more!

Monday, July 25, 2011

Don't be afraid of your clients

When I shoot a wedding or portrait session, I get so excited to have a SD card filled with my work. I practically run home to load the photos onto my computer to edit. I love that part of my business.



The part that I used to hate was dealing with clients to get those goodies. When I first started, I was simply terrified to go on a shoot. What if I couldn't get a single good shot? What if they didn't like me? What if they totally hate my "vision" of the shoot?



I went through this for almost two years. I would get a stomachache the night before every single shoot I did. It (my anxiety) was affecting my home life because I would be grumpy all the time dreading a shoot or wedding. My husband would get so upset with me. He would ask if I ever had a complaint. "No," I would reply. "Do people love your work?" he asked. "Yes," I answered and hang my head down. "Then, stop it!" he would say very loudly. He just didn't understand how delicate we artist's egos are. But, I knew where he was coming from. I realized that I couldn't love to do something and hate it at the same time.


So, I had to sit down and decide if I was still going to have to hang up the camera and quit my business. I reflected back on each session and ask myself if anyone ever was mean to me at a shoot, or have I ever had a customer complain? No- AND if I ever did, would it be the end of the world? NO!!


I told myself that I wasn't going to be able to please everyone, and some day I might come across a client that won't like my work. If so, that's fine. I may also come across "not so nice" people-this was their problem, not a reflection on me. I also told myself that it's ok if a session goes wrong. I could always re shoot. When you shoot enough sessions, odds are, you could have an off day. It took alot, but I convinced myself that IT'S NO BIG DEAL.


So, I just let it all go and just had fun at the next shoot. I really did have a blast-and I was looking forward to my next shoot-I NEVER felt that way before! It was like a two ton weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. I wasn't snapping at anyone anymore. I finally could honestly say I loved what I did.


If you are still nervous before a shoot, that's normal, but don't let it control you. Relax and just have fun. Your positive vibe will rub off on your clients and they'll love your work not only because your talented, but because they like you!

2 comments:

Brian Miller said...

nice...easily relatable across life...we can be afraid of others and limit our interactions or brave them knowing we will find a few that are unsavory but will not miss out on the good ones...

Shari said...

I also felt the same way before a shoot, only by B/F would tell you I was a total B-word. He would say the same things to me.

Now it is so much easier. Except tonight I have 5 month old twins and I really have no idea what I am going to do with this shoot. But I am not toooo nervous.