New book

Photo Nuts and Post is the third installation in the Photo Nuts series and it just launched!
Written by professional photographer, Neil Creek, it gives you the tools you need to make processing work for you. Even if you have experience in editing, you can always learn new tricks.
To celebrate, they are offering 33% off if you buy today -Click here to read more!

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Featured Vendor AND contest!

Giveaway has ended:

Winner:

Lara



If you are looking for some new props for your newborn/children shoots, check out our Featured Vendor Sonia McCutcheon of






(cute name!)



AND...
She's giving something away!



Tell us about yourself, Sonia!




Hi! I am Sonia McCutcheon the fiber addicted owner of milkmoney http://soniamccutcheon.etsy.com/ I taught myself to knit about ten years ago, I needed a stress relief from my insanely paced job as a production coordinator for a media company. I had no idea that I would become so impassioned for all things fiber! Since launching milkmoney almost three years ago, I have also taught myself to spin yarn.






I absolutely LOVE THAT TOO! My wonderfully supportive husband bought me drop spindle about four years ago and my fabulous mother in law bought me a spinning wheel for Christmas about a year and a half ago. I love getting lost in the process of spinning yarn and love everything about making my own yarn. I am hoping to add a line of products to my shop that are made from wools that were spun and knitted by me. My latest adventure is learning to dye my own fiber. I am currently experimenting using natural and food grade dyes to color my wools. It is important for me to use something safe since my products are used on children.

What type of product do you offer to photographers?

milkmoney has a wonderful selection of hats, wraps, knitted bowls and am currently in the final stages of launching a line of tutu's and knitted cocoons

What made you want to start this kind of business?



milkmoney was launched at my sister's urging. I had inundated my family and extended family in hats and scarves. Living in the south there obviously isn't that great a need for these items so, in an effort save herself and others she suggested I check out Etsy and seriously consider opening a shop. I did, and haven't looked back. It is fulfilling and humbling to know that items made in my studio, with my two hands are being used by photographers and moms in places as far away as Vietnam and all over the United States, wow!



Are you a photographer as well, or at least a photo-taking junkie?





I am not a photographer but rather a great fan of photographers work. I am the mom that shows up at birthday parties and forgot the camera, thankfully my husband brings his! I love looking at Flickr and seeing the talented work posted there.




Do you have a favorite photographer that you drool over their photos?



I have to say that I adore all things creative. I love and appreciate how two people can look at the same item and not see the same thing. I have a close working relationship with Lisa Slate the owner of Lisa Slate Photography. She approached me when I first started out on etsy and has provided me with the most adorable photos to use in my shop but more importantly honest feedback on how my items work and fit. The feedback that I get from her allows me to make my items adorable but functional.
What do you do like to do when you aren't running your business?

When I am not running milkmoney...I have been married to the most wonderful and supportive husband. We have two children, my son is five and my daughter is four. I stay mostly at home, but do teach at my children's preschool, it's great for us to leave and come home together. My little one's play soccer, they love to do art and we spend a great part of our day covered in paint of some sort and/or markers, playdoh. We love to sing and dance and play outside. We read and have been known to jump on the bed.





Any advice to someone wanting to start a business?

Follow your dream, don't be afraid to take chances! Ask for advice and be willing to listen, sometimes we hear things we don't like but feedback isn't personal. The world is what you make of it!




Win it!



Would you like to win a product of YOUR CHOICE?



That's right!


Sonia wants one lucky reader to win one of her wonderful products!



How to enter:



Required.


-Leave a comment stating your favorite product from her store.


-Like milk money.



Three Extra Entries:



(leave three more comments)



Add my blog to your favorite blog list.



While you are waiting to see if you win, she is also offering a 15% discount to her shop!



Use PROTOGRAPHY101 for discount.



Thanks, Sonia!



Contest ends:



May 12th.

7 comments:

Angie said...

Thanks for sponsering this giveaway! I love this one

http://www.etsy.com/listing/54987633/handknit-stocking-cap-choose-your-colors

Angie said...

I liked MikeMoney on FB.

Amy Ledford DiLiegro said...

I love the Handknit Bowl, Egg Cocoon Photography Prop (Wool Blend)...as a photographer, I think this is a super prop to use for newborn photos!

Amy Ledford DiLiegro said...

I like MilkMoney on Facebook.

Susan said...

Sonia's work is amazing and creative! I receive so many compliments on the hat she made for my son. I am so proud to say that my dear friend made it!

larag1028 said...

I like MilkMoney on FB! I love the little gray & white hat pictured here on the blog! I also like the lime green pixie hat with the red heart! So, so cute!

larag1028 said...

Yay! I can't believe I won! Doing a happy dance now!