New book

Photo Nuts and Post is the third installation in the Photo Nuts series and it just launched!
Written by professional photographer, Neil Creek, it gives you the tools you need to make processing work for you. Even if you have experience in editing, you can always learn new tricks.
To celebrate, they are offering 33% off if you buy today -Click here to read more!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Thrift Stores for props

I love thrift stores. Do you ever visit any? Thrift stores are a great place for photographers. These stores are filled with prop ideas. Vintage clothes, old chairs, wooden toys-they are like an indoor garage sale!

I finally had a chance to go this weekend and found some great items. I wanted to find some cute "prairie" style clothes for my daughter's photo shoot and some props. We found some awesome skirts, tops and a jean jacket.


I love jean jackets-they work with everything. Having some on hand in your studio or on a shoot may add to a photo.



Emily was starting to get a bit cold by these poses-I wish warm weather would come!



A promise of hot chocolate brought out one more smile.


I even found a cute little outfit for my grand baby-hence the jean jacket with this dress-how cute is that?



I found a new thrift store and found these "I DO" plaques. I was so happy! These make a cute prop for wedding photos-less than $2!

I also found an old white chair that I have to go back to get-I hope it's still there because it was only $4! I would have bought it that day, but I didn't think it would fit in my car (I miss my SUV!).

So, don't think you have to spend a fortune in props. Get creative and hit thrift stores and garage sales for supplies. But, don't forget about Etsy-a great place with awesome artists!

4 comments:

Maddy said...

I definitely need to start scouring the thrift stores for props! I've been wanting some vintage luggage. Maybe I'll have luck finding some this summer :)

L. said...

Great finds! I love my local thrift store, perhaps a bit too much, as it seems I'm always coming home with more than I'm donating! :D

Michelle Stiles said...

I go to thrift shops and browse the the dishware section and find great food props. I also head over to the linen section and find great random sections of material. I come home with great inspiration!

Kimberly Gauthier, Dog Nutrition Blogger for Keep the Tail Wagging said...

What a fantastic idea. I usually troll Craiglist for studio props. I've picked up stools, a bench, several cool items on craiglist. The allusive wooden ladder remains out of my reach though.

Thanks for sharing this fantastic idea!